1971: The Year Hollywood Went Independent
A celebration of New Hollywood films, 1971: The Year Hollywood Went Independent brings Two-Lane Blacktop, Klute, McCabe & Mrs Miller, The Last Picture Show and Five Easy Pieces back to the cinema screen in a touring programme curated by Cinema Rediscovered.
In the mid-1960s, Hollywood cinema underwent some significant changes. With the downfall of the classical studio system and the rising popularity of European art cinema, American cinema audiences had changed; big-budget epics were no longer commercially successful, and a generation of younger, college-educated filmgoers wanted artistic meaning and deeper political relevance in their movies. The disaffected youth of America’s counter-culture were soon to be represented by the cinema of New Hollywood.
In an era defined by strikingly original cinema made by a young generation of filmmakers, 1971 would see the release of some of the most important Hollywood films of all time. Across a short-lived era of remarkable independent cinema, these five films represent an exploration of the existential state of the American psyche during this period of political and social upheaval. With revisionist takes on beloved American genres, from the road movie, the coming-of-age film and the Western, this season of films honours a year of ground-breaking American independent cinema.
Upcoming films & events
- Two-Lane Blacktop + Intro 15
- Two-lane Blacktop is a cult American road movie, following two street racers from town to town, making their income by challenging locals to drag races in their souped-up ’55 Chevvy.
- Tue 14 Sep
- Klute 15
- Starring Jane Fonda in an Academy Award-winning role, Klute is a taut neo-noir in which a call-girl assists a detective in a missing persons case.
- Thu 16 Sep
- McCabe & Mrs Miller + Intro 15
- In Robert Altman’s McCabe & Mrs Miller, a prostitute and a gambler become business partners in the remote Old West.
- Tue 21 Sep
- The Last Picture Show 15
- In Peter Bogdanovich’s The Last Picture Show, a group of disillusioned high schoolers come of age in a bleak, Texan town.
- Tue 28 Sep
- Five Easy Pieces + Intro 15
- A landmark film from the 1970s, Five Easy Pieces sees Jack Nicholson play a dropout from upper-class America, ending his self-imposed exile and returning home to see his father.
- Thu 30 Sep