Philosophy at the Showroom
In association with the University of Sheffield
Philosophy at the Showroom is a series that involves sessions that probe the philosophical questions raised by some of cinema’s most intriguing films, and also sessions that discuss books that have philosophical themes (either philosophical texts, or other works that raise philosophical questions). Our obligations to others, heroism, death, and the functioning of the mind are just some of the themes these screenings and the book events will explore.
Each film will be introduced by a philosopher from the University of Sheffield, and followed by a group discussion of the philosophical problems it confronts.
The talks will not presuppose any prior knowledge of philosophy, and we hope they will lead to the development of a thriving community of those interested in the subject in the city.For further information, please contact Yonatan Shemmer: firstname.lastname@example.org
Upcoming films & events
- The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp U
- Perhaps Powell and Pressberger's greatest film and even a candidate for the best British film of all time even though Churchill was not happy with the film and allegedly tried to ban it.
- Thu 26 Mar
- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 15
- Gondry's sci-fi romance focusses on Joel (Jim Carrey) and Clementine (Kate Winslet). After a bitter separation, Clementine hires Lacuna Inc. to erase all of her memories of their relationship.
- Thu 30 Apr
- Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri 15
- The grieving mother of a murdered teenager wants answers from her community about the lack of progress in catching her daughter’s killer, by painting three billboards calling out the incompetence of the chief of police.
- Thu 28 May
- Tim's Vermeer 12A
- Tim’s Vermeer is a documentary about Tim Jennison’s efforts to duplicate the painting techniques, and eventually a painting, of Johannes Vermeer in order to test his theory that Vermeer painted with optical devices.
- Thu 25 Jun