Japan Foundation Touring Film Programme: People Still Call It Love
This year’s Japan Foundation Touring Film Programme showcases a fantastic range of classic and contemporary Japanese cinema, all centred around the theme of love. The nine films in the season provide a broad picture of Japanese emotional relationships - with work that highlights LGBTQ+ stories; stories of familial devotion; stories of compassion for one’s fellow man; stories of transgressive attractions; and moving portraits of the devastation felt with the loss of love.
The Japan Foundation Touring Film Programme 2019 is programmed and produced by the Japan Foundation, Junko Takekawa (London), Yuri Kubota (Tokyo), and coordinated by Darian De La Cruz, assisted by Ciaran Austin.
All films in Japanese with English subtitles
With Major Support from Japan Airlines, Yakult, and the Great Britain Sasakawa Foundation, and in Cultural Partnership with Modern Culture.
Upcoming films & events
- Yurigokoro 18
- A devastating and mysterious love story adapted from Mahokaru Numata’s bestselling novel, Nan-Core.
- Tue 19 Feb
- Of Love and Law + Q&A with Director Hikaru Toda CTBA
- This eye-opening documentary follows the work of the first law firm in Japan set up by an openly gay couple.
- Mon 25 Feb
- The Scythian Lamb 18
- This adaptation of a thriller manga by Yamagami Tatsuhiko and Igarashi Mikio blends dark humour with taut suspense.
- Tue 26 Feb
- Her Love Boils Bathwater 18
- This heartrending family drama was selected as the Japanese entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 2018 Academy Awards.
- Wed 27 Feb