Japan Foundation Touring Film Programme: Happiness is a State of Mind
We're proud to be participating in the Japan Foundation Touring Film Programme again this year, with another jam-packed season celebrating some of the best classic and contemporary Japanese cinema you won’t find anywhere else.
This year’s season is all about the pursuit of happiness and the search for fulfilment and meaning. Featuring charming and funny tales about the ups and downs of parent-child relationships in the brilliant My Dad is a Heel Wrestler and Bento Harrassment, a romance that transcends earthly bonds in the fantastic new anime Ride Your Wave, and a twisted search for love that sees ten women plotting a murder together in Kon Ichikawa’s thrilling 1961 film Ten Dark Women. With all this plus much more, this year’s programme is bursting with cinematic gems.
All films in Japanese with English subtitles
Since 2004, the Japan Foundation has, in partnership with distinguished film venues across the nation, introduced UK audiences to some of the finest Japanese films, showcasing the diversity and uniqueness of Japanese cinema with a line-up of contemporary titles that have never had a UK release. From thrilling dramas and documentaries to anime and classic masterpieces, the touring programme presents a chance to see some of the best work from one of the world’s most exciting cinemas on the big screen.
The Japan Foundation Touring Film Programme 2020 has been programmed and produced by Junko Takekawa (Japan Foundation London) and Mayu Honda (Japan Foundation Tokyo), coordinated by Darian De La Cruz (Japan Foundation London), with help by Yukino Ishimaru and Jessica Mancoo. Special thanks to Alex Jacoby and Kiyomi Nakazaki.
With Major Support from Japan Airlines, Great Britain Sasakawa Foundation, and Yakult, with Sponsorship in Kind from SUQQU, and in Cultural Partnership with Modern Culture.
Upcoming films & events
- My Dad is a Heel Wrestler 18
- Little Shota (TERADA Kokoro) gets the shock of his life when he discovers that the father he looks up to plays the despicable heel wrestler, Cockroach.
- Sun 2 Feb
- Bento Harrassment 18
- Wishing to open up another line of communication with her rebellious teenage daughter, in the name of light-hearted revenge, single mother Kaori (SHINOHARA Ryoko) begins creating embarrassingly sweet messages in her child’s lunchbox meals. Will it work?
- Thu 6 Feb
- Kakegurui - Compulsive Gambler 18
- At Hyakkaoh Private Academy students are ranked on their gambling abilities rather than grades. The coveted prize for becoming the ultimate gambling champion is a ‘blank future’ that will give the winner autonomy over their life after graduation.
- Tue 11 Feb
- Ride Your Wave PG
- Romance transcends earthly bonds in this fantastic and offbeat new anime from the director of Lu Over the Wall.
- Thu 13 Feb
- Ten Dark Women 18
- Progressive for the time of its production, this black comedy follows the undoing of a married TV producer and womaniser as the women in his life join forces in conspiring to kill him.
- Sun 16 Feb
- I Go Gaga, My Dear + Director Q&A 18
- Filmmaker Nobutomo begins to notice gradual changes affecting her nonagenarian mother. Turning the camera on her parents’ life, she presents an intimate portrait of the highs and lows of a family living with Alzheimer’s.
- Tue 18 Feb
- Another World 18
- One day, an encounter with Koh's old military buddy from the Self-Defence Force (HASEGAWA Hiroki) brings back complex memories, making him reconsider his passive existence.
- Thu 20 Feb
- Sea of Revival 18
- In a bid to rid himself of his crippling gambling addiction, Ikuo (KATORI Shingo) moves to his partner’s coastal hometown in an area recovering from the devastating 2011 earthquake.
- Tue 25 Feb