Queer East Film Festival
Queer East is an LGBTQ+ film festival that showcases rarely seen queer cinema from East and Southeast Asia. Seeking to amplify the voices of Asian communities in the UK, the festival explores the forces that have shaped the current queer landscape in Asia, and aims to encourage more inclusive narratives.
Global events in the past year have once again reminded us how vital fair and authentic racial and sexual representation is for our society. Film is one of the most direct and accessible mediums able to shine a light on issues and situations that people just weren’t aware of before. By showing films that people might not otherwise get a chance to see, we can provide a platform for under-represented Asian and diasporic communities to share their history, stories and what it means to be Asian and queer today. The second edition of Queer East Film Festival took place in London from 15 to 26 September before touring cinemas across the UK. The Showroom is excited to partner with Queer East for three film screenings this December.
We will be screening a 35mm presentation for the 20th anniversary of Hush!, a landmark Japanese LGBTQ+ film exploring debates around same-sex families and parenthood. We are also proud to show two contemporary films as part of the programme: Dear Tenant and Moonlit Winter, both of which critique of traditional family structures and explore generational change.
Upcoming films & events
- Queer East: Hush! + Intro 15
- The award-winning Hush! is a classic film of Japanese LGBTQ+ cinema. A gay couple in Tokyo are approached by their female friend who wants them to help her have a baby.
- Fri 3 Dec
- Queer East: Dear Tenant + Intro 12A
- In Dear Tenant, a young man looking after his deceased partner’s mother and son becomes entangled in a legal battle with the child’s uncle.
- Tue 7 Dec
- Queer East: Moonlit Winter +Intro 12A
- Moonlit Winter is the story of a mother and daughter who reconnect when seeking out the sender of a mysterious love letter.
- Wed 8 Dec