Taking Lives: Art, Activism & the Death Penalty on Screen
The Showroom Cinema, in partnership with Amnesty International and the School of English at the University of Sheffield, presents Taking Lives, a mini-season of films exploring representations of capital punishment on screen.
The four films in the season - In Cold Blood (1969), Dancer in the Dark (2000), La Veuve de Saint-Pierre (1999) and A Short Film About Killing (1988) - are thought provoking, unsettling and profoundly moving stories which prompt us to question the psychology of killing, whether that be murder by individuals or state sanctioned executions.
Why do we hurt each other? What does violence have to do with justice? And what does it take to be forgiven? As audiences, these films challenge us to reflect on these questions, and to ask ourselves why the death penalty still exists, and what we can do about it.
Each film in the season will be introduced by an expert speaker and followed by a post-screening discussion exploring the issues around human rights and the death penalty raised by the film.
For more information on Amnesty International’s current work on the death penalty see here: https://www.amnesty.org/en/what-we-do/death-penalty/
Upcoming films & events
- In Cold Blood + Intro 15
- This classic true crime film based on Truman Capote’s famous non-fiction novel traces the crime committed by two men in rural Kansas - and their eventual punishment.
- Thu 11 Apr
- Dancer in the Dark + Intro 15
- This heart-rending Danish musical drama directed by Lars von Trier stars Björk as a daydreaming factory worker who commits a violent crime.
- Tue 16 Apr
- The Widow of Saint-Pierre (La Veuve de Saint-Pierre) + Intro 15
- In this period drama starring Juliette Binoche a murderer awaits the guillotine on an island, even as his character, and his popularity with the islanders, begins to shift.
- Tue 23 Apr
- A Short Film About Killing + Intro 18
- This celebrated crime drama from Polish director Krzysztof Kieślowski deals with a cold-blooded murder, followed by a calculated state execution.
- Tue 30 Apr