The Painted Bird 18
From the archive
This film was last shown on 24 September 2020
“A monumental piece of work”
★★★★★ The Guardian
The Painted Bird follows the journey of a young Jewish boy across Eastern Europe during World War II. Wandering alone through the desecrated countryside, he encounters villagers and soldiers whose own lives have been brutally altered, and who are intent on revisiting this brutality on the boy.
When the war ends, the boy has been changed forever.
Shot in crisp black and white – Václav Marhoul’s The Painted Bird does far more than simply depict the horror of war. It is an unflinching examination of the very worst of humanity.
The Painted Bird features a staggering central performance from Petr Kotlár as the young boy, alongside a star-studded international ensemble including Udo Kier, Stellan Skarsgård, Harvey Keitel, Julian Sands and Barry Pepper.
We have worked hard to put new measures in place to create a safe and welcoming environment for you to enjoy:
- We have reduced the number of tickets a person can purchase at any one time for each of our screenings to six. This follows the latest Government restrictions of meeting in groups of 6 or less.
- Seat reservations will not be possible as our booking system is not able to operate the advanced social distancing we have put in place.
- Please bring along a copy of your ticket booking confirmation email - either printed or on your mobile device - to show proof of purchase and to gain access to the cinema
- Please arrive in plenty of time before your film starts to make sure you are seated with your household or support bubble, socially distanced from other groups in the spaces available
- If you experience any symptoms of COVID-19, please do not visit the Showroom. We have changed our refund policy to keep our staff and audiences safe. Find out more.
- Please take a look at our most up to date safety measures.
- Václav Marhoul
- Czech Republic, Slovakia
- 2 hours 50 minutes
- Barry Pepper, Harvey Keitel, Stellan Skarsgård