Miss Juneteenth 15
This film is F-Rated
Celebrating the empowerment of women in the film industry. Read more >
From the archive
This film was last shown on 1 October 2020
Turquoise Jones is a single mom who holds down a household, a rebellious teenager, and pretty much everything that goes down at Wayman’s BBQ & Lounge. Turquoise is also a bona fide beauty queen—she was once crowned Miss Juneteenth, a title commemorating the day slavery was abolished in Texas. Life didn’t turn out as beautifully as the title promised, but Turquoise, determined to right her wrongs, is encouraging her daughter to follow in her footsteps - even if she’s not entirely enthusiastic about the idea.
Director Channing Godfrey Peoples’ film draws us deep into a honey-bourbon South that is rich with heat, sincerity, and thick, Texan charm. At its centre is a captivating performance from Nicole Beharie as Turquoise, a woman radiating elegance and determination as she strives to not just survive - but thrive.
Miss Juneteenth follows the soulful journey of a determined woman who takes on the burden of representing history, and generations of black women, all the while standing tall in spite of her own shortcomings as she marches, step by step, toward self-realization.
We have worked hard to put new measures in place to create a safe and welcoming environment for you to enjoy:
- We have reduced the number of tickets a person can purchase at any one time for each of our screenings to six. This follows the latest Government restrictions of meeting in groups of 6 or less.
- Seat reservations will not be possible as our booking system is not able to operate the advanced social distancing we have put in place.
- Please bring along a copy of your ticket booking confirmation email - either printed or on your mobile device - to show proof of purchase and to gain access to the cinema
- Please arrive in plenty of time before your film starts to make sure you are seated with your household or support bubble, socially distanced from other groups in the spaces available
- If you experience any symptoms of COVID-19, please do not visit the Showroom. We have changed our refund policy to keep our staff and audiences safe. Find out more.
- Please take a look at our most up to date safety measures.
- Channing Godfrey Peoples
- 1 hour 39 minutes