This film is Triple F-Rated
Celebrating the empowerment of women in the film industry. Read more >
From the archive
This film was last shown on 1 October 2020
Rocks is a teenage girl with big dreams for the future, loyal friends and an adoring, though mischievous, little brother Emmanuel. She enjoys school (as much as any teenager does) and lives a full vibrant life in East London with her team of best friends.
Rocks’ world is turned upside down when she returns from school to find her mum gone, having left some cash and a note offering little explanation except that she is sorry. Determined to stick with her brother and avoid being taken into care against all odds, Rocks leaves her home and hides in pockets of East London. As each day becomes tougher and her secret harder to hide, Rocks starts to push away those who love her and her friendship group begins to fracture. When the authorities finally catch up with her, there is really only one source of support for her to turn to: her friends. A film about the joy, resilience and spirit of girlhood.
Our screening on Friday 18th September at 7.45pm will include an exclusive pre-recorded introduction and post screening pre-recorded Q&A with ROCKS director Sarah Gavron, associate director Anu Henriques and writers Theresa Ikoko & Claire Wilson, hosted by Birds’ Eye View director-at-large Mia Bays. This screening is part of our Reclaim the Frame initiative.
We have worked hard to put new measures in place to create a safe and welcoming environment for you to enjoy:
- We have reduced the number of tickets a person can purchase at any one time for each of our screenings to six. This follows the latest Government restrictions of meeting in groups of 6 or less.
- Seat reservations will not be possible as our booking system is not able to operate the advanced social distancing we have put in place.
- Please bring along a copy of your ticket booking confirmation email - either printed or on your mobile device - to show proof of purchase and to gain access to the cinema
- Please arrive in plenty of time before your film starts to make sure you are seated with your household or support bubble, socially distanced from other groups in the spaces available
- If you experience any symptoms of COVID-19, please do not visit the Showroom. We have changed our refund policy to keep our staff and audiences safe. Find out more.
- Please take a look at our most up to date safety measures.
- Sarah Gavron
- 1 hour 33 minutes