Les Misérables 15
From the archive
This film was last shown on 24 September 2020
France has won the World Cup and summer has arrived. The scene should be one of happiness but in tough, impoverished Montfermeil, new arrival Stéphane (Damien Bonnard) immediately meets with trouble in the local anti-crime squad.
Working alongside unscrupulous colleagues Chris (Alexis Manenti) and Gwada (Djebril Zonga), Stéphane struggles to maintain order between the local gangs. When an arrest turns unexpectedly violent, all three officers must reckon with the aftermath to keep the neighbourhood from spiralling out of control.
Shot on location and using many first-time actors, Les Misérables is pacy and intense, full of energy and a palpable sense of realism. A prime example of work by the exciting new roster of French filmmakers dubbed the “double vague”: directors challenging traditional narratives of what it means to be French. Created during a time of a troubling rise in nationalism in France and the wider world, it’s an urgent depiction of police brutality and a country caught in a violent struggle between competing visions of its past, present and future.
We have worked hard to put new measures in place to create a safe and welcoming environment for you to enjoy:
- We have reduced the number of tickets a person can purchase at any one time for each of our screenings to six. This follows the latest Government restrictions of meeting in groups of 6 or less.
- Seat reservations will not be possible as our booking system is not able to operate the advanced social distancing we have put in place.
- Please bring along a copy of your ticket booking confirmation email - either printed or on your mobile device - to show proof of purchase and to gain access to the cinema
- Please arrive in plenty of time before your film starts to make sure you are seated with your household or support bubble, socially distanced from other groups in the spaces available
- If you experience any symptoms of COVID-19, please do not visit the Showroom. We have changed our refund policy to keep our staff and audiences safe. Find out more.
- Please take a look at our most up to date safety measures.
- Ladj Ly
- 1 hour 44 minutes